Saturday, August 6, 2011

Can I use grants given to me for one year for my whole tuition?

I live in North Carolina, and I just got my award letter from financial aid. They offered me 1300 in Pell Grants, 2100 from the North Carolina education lottery scholarship, and 950 from the North Carolina Community College Grant. All of that money covers A LOT of the overall tuition I will need for my associates degree. I was also approved for a 3500 subsidized loan and 2000 for an unsubsidized loan. Can I do the math, and just keep however much of the loan I will need left over for books? The grants are about 300 bucks short of my credit hour tuition for the 2 years so I just need money for books. Here's why I'm looking to do this. I got lucky and they let me file only my moms income because her and her husband were separated when she filed the fafsa. If I reapply for the next year I will not be given money because they are back together, they make too much together. I won't be able to claim my own income until the spring of 2013 because I'm getting married august next year. So can I not just save whatever they refund me from my grants for mosy of my tuition and not reapply??

No comments:

Post a Comment