Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Can I be considered an independent on my taxes?

So someone told me that I can only be considered an independent on my taxes if I'm married or emancipated and I would like to know if this is true. I'm 20 years old at the end of the month. I would like to file my taxes as an independent, because I'd rather my parents not find out about my career (webcam model), which I started this year. I'm on their health insurance, but will start paying for my own if this would affect my dependency. I will be paying for my own school, but I have to use their salary info on the FAFSA for student aid, though I'd be willing to pay for it out of pocket if the aid would affect my dependency (it's a community college, so it's not that expensive). In October of last year, I moved out to a different state to live with my boyfriend, and next month I will be moving in another state with my boyfriend and his parents.' I pay for all of my own bills and I've moved out 9 months ago (as a permanent move, not temporary). Can someone please tell me if I can be considered an independent, and if not what can I do to be considered an independent? Of course, I would talk it over with my parents and let them know that I'm claiming myself. I'm not sure when I'm going to school, but I'm going to try to in the fall or in the spring of next year. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment